Puliyogare or Puliodarai or Tamarind Rice is a South Indian rice dish usually eaten as a snack and made during special occasions.
Ingredients for Puliyogare:
- 2 cups cooked white rice
- 2 tbsp Puliyogare Mix (See below)
- Salt to taste
- Tamarind juice for taste
Directions for making Puliyogare:
- Mix the cooked rice with the Puliyogare mix.
- Add salt to taste.
- You can add extra tamarind juice and mix if you need the dish to be more sour.
- Heat through and serve.
- Enjoy your Puliyogare. Hope you love this Indian recipe.
Ingredients for making Puliyogare Mix:
- 1 cup fresh shredded coconut
- 4 tsp coriander seeds
- 2 tsp peppercorns
- A pinch of hing(asoefetida)
- 4 tsps peanuts, shelled and skinned
- 2 tsp mustard seeds
- 12 red chillies
- 4 tsps white sesame seeds
- 2 sprigs curry leaves
- 2 tsp urad dal(black gram dal)
- 1 tsp channa dal( bengal gram dal)
- 8 tsp oil or ghee
- 1 1/2 cups thick tamarind juice
- 1 small piece jaggery or 1 tsp sugar
- 2 tsp cumin seeds
Directions for making Puliyogare Mix:
- Roast the coconut and set aside.
- Roast the coriander, cumin, 6 red chillies, 1 sprig curry leaves, pepper, asoefetida, 1 tsp mustard, 2 tsp sesame seeds, 1/2 tsp channa dal,1 tsp urad dal and 2 tsp peanuts one by one till they turn aromatic.
- Powder to a fine powder using a coffee grinder and set aside.
- Mix in the coconut gratings and powder once again. Set aside.
- Heat some oil and add the remaining musatard seeds, red chillies, urad dal, channa dal, peanuts, sesame seeds and curry leaves.
- When the seeds start crackling, add the tamarind juice and salt/jaggery. Mix well.
- Add salt to taste.
- The liquid will start boiling. Now add the powdered masala and simmer till you get a sticky masala.
- Heat through and cool.
- This will keep well for a month in a airtight container if refrigerated.
- Mix this with plain cooked rice to get puliyogare or tamarind rice.
Broccoli and Carrot Pulau, Green Prawn Pulao recipe , Lemon Rice, Saffron Rice recipe , Vegetable Pulao, Puliyogare, Exotic Chicken Biryani recipe
Go to Top