Pav Bhaji (also known as pao bhaji and pau bhaji) is one of the most popular fast food dish native to Bombay and popular in most metros in India. Pav (bread) bhaji (a potato based curry) is ideal as a filling mini-meal that combines taste with nutrition.
Making time : 30 mins. (excl. pressure cooking time)
Serve : 4 (2 pavs each)
Ingredients for Pav Bhaji:
- 8 pavs (squarish soft buns about 4" x 5" size)
- butter to shallow fry.
- 1 capsicum chopped fine
- 2 onions chopped fine
- 2 tomatoes chopped fine
- 2 1/2 cups chopped mixed vegetables (beans, carrots, cauliflower, potota, beans, bottle gourds, etc.)
- 1/2 cup shelled
- 2 tbsp. butter
- 2 tsp. pavbhaji masala
- 1 1/2 tsp. chilli powder
- 1/4 tsp. turmeric powder
- 1/2 tsp. sugar
- salt to taste
- 1 cup water (in which vegetables were boiled)
- 1/2 tsp. each ginger grated, garlic crushed
- juice of 1/2 lemon.
- 1 tbsp. coriander chopped
- 1 onion chopped
- small pieces of lemon
Directions for making Pav Bhaji:
- Pressure cook mixed vegetables and peas till well done. Mash them coarsely after draining.
- Heat butter in a pan.
- Add ginger-garlice, capsicum, onion, tomatoes. Fry for 2-3 minutes till very soft.
- Add pavbhaji masala, chilli powder, turmeric, salt, sugar and fry further 2-3 minutes. Bring to boil.
- Simmer till gravy is thick, stirring and mashing pieces with masala, in between.
- Add lemon juice, stir.
- Garnish with chopped coriander and a block of butter.
- Slit pavs horizontally leaving one edge attached. (To open like a book).
- Apply butter (as desired) and roast open on a griddle till hot and soft with the surface crisp on both sides.
- Serve hot with bhaji, a piece of lemon and chopped onion.
- Enjoy your Pav Bhaji. Hope you love this Indian recipe.
Bonda with Mashed Potato recipe, Cashew Kunuku, Dahi Vada, Hot Kachori recipe , Maida Bonda, Masala Vada, Mysore Bonda, Pav Bhaji recipe , Potato Bhonda, Rice Uppuma, Sweet Adai, Ulundu Vada recipe, Ribbon Murukku, Medu Vada
Go to Top